Ghana and Sassuolo midfielder Alfred Duncan has disclosed that Barcelona ace Kevin Prince Boateng wants to make a return to the Black Stars for the upcoming 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt.
The 32-year-old, who joined the 2018/19 La Liga champions in the January transfer window has been on an indefinite suspension for the past five years after he was charged for what the Ghana FA said in a statement were “vulgar verbal insults” aimed at coach Appiah during training.
But Duncan has revealed that one of the issues that popped up in his conversations with the former AC Milan forward who had been signed from Germany’s Frankfurt in the summer was about the Black Stars.
“I didn’t know Kevin before but when he came [to Sassuolo], we had a long chat. “And he mentioned his will of coming back to the national. He was very determined…,” he told Citi FM.
“Since he came, that has been one of his real objectives – to be able to return to the national team,” Duncan added.
In case coach Kwesi Appiah decides to include Kevin-Prince Boateng in his squad for the 2019 Afcon, the player would still have to go through the legal processes of heading to the courts by filing an appeal and successfully overturning the Commission of Inquiry’s findings against him.
The requirement must be satisfied before he can receive an invite to a Ghana national team camp.
Ghana are scheduled to begin their pre-Afcon preparations in Accra from May 27. The tournament is scheduled for June 21 to July 19.