Ghana Women's Premier League: Lady Striker come from behind to beat Thunder Queens

Published on: 24 January 2021

Lady Strikers beat Thunder Queens 5-4 in a week two game of the Ghana National Women's League at Tema on January 23, 2021.

The game started with some impressive show of passing skills from both sides but it was Lady Strikers who made the first attempt at goal.

Suzy Dede Teye saw her shot hit the crossbar in the 3rd minute when she thought she had broken the deadlock of the game.

That move stirred up Thunder Queens who also saw a Leticia Agyei header hit the bar in the 12th minutes as well.

The scoreline did not remain 0-0 for long as Elizabeth Oppong fired Thunder Queens in front in the 14th minute with a sublime strike.

That goal put Thunder on the ascendency and coach for Lady Strikers Rashid Iddi made a substitution in the 20th minute when he brought on Deborah Amponsah for Abigail Sarkodie.

That substitution was not immediately felt as Thunder Queens continued their dominance and Lady Striker goalkeeper Beatrice Ntiwaa saved her team in the 22nd minute as Thunder Queens almost doubled their lead through a corner kick.

Thunder Queens finally had the opportunity to get a second goal when they were awarded a penalty in the 24th minute.

Gifty Dwamena stepped up and made it 2-0 for Thunder Ladies but they could have scored a third when they had a glorious chance in the 26th minute only to blast it over the bar.

Lady Strikers got themselves back into the game on the 36th-minute mark when Catherine Arthur converted from the spot to make it 2-1.

Three minutes later, Suzzy Dede Teye, showed great instincts to make it 2-2 for Lady Strikers.

At this point, Lady Strikers were on top of their game and were determined to go into the break with a lead.

Deservedly they grabbed their third goal in the 42nd minute of the game through Sarah Inkoom, after a great teamwork.

After the recess, Lady Strikers made it 4-2 in the 49th minute when Gifty Addai Boakye made no mistake to put the ball past Thunder Queens goalkeeper.

Thunder knew this was a tall mountain for them to climb and decided to push forward to halve the deficit, Vivian Konadu in the 56th minute found her spot and placed the ball beyond the reach of goalkeeper Beatrice Ntiwaa to make it 3-4.

Their joy was short-lived once again as Lady Strikers were awarded their second penalty of the game which Catherine Arthur stepped up to score again in the 59th minute.

Thunder Queens had to battle their way up again and exchanged passes beautifully with more intensity, that paid off as Esther Moffat made it 4-5 in the 69th minute.

Coach Rashid Iddi sensed danger and brought on Deborah MacCarthy to see the game out.

They defended their lines well as Thunder Queens threw everything at them but the game eventually ended 5-4 in favour of Lady Strikers.

Even though Thunder Queens lost the game, Elizabeth Oppong was adjudged the player of the match.