Naby Keita will not seal an early move to Liverpool in January, RB Leipzig said in a statement on Sunday.
The Premier League club announced an agreement with Keita last August to move to Anfield this summer, but sources told ESPN FC that Liverpool wanted to explore the possibility of bringing the move forward to January.
But Leipzig said in a statement on Twitter: "Naby Keita will remain an RB Leipzig player until 30th June 2018. We wish to put the speculation about a January move to LFC to bed."
In a second statement, director Ralf Rangnick added: "We won't allow LFC to sign him early, even though they have shown renewed interest to bring him in during this transfer window. A sale [in January] would have only been possible if we had secured an additional, exorbitantly high transfer fee."
The Bundesliga outfit do not want to lose Keita this month as they still remain in a battle to secure Champions League qualification for the next campaign and find themselves in the round-of-32 of this season's Europa League.
OFFICIAL: Naby #Keïta will remain an #RBLeipzig player until 30th June 2018. We wish to put the speculation about a January move to @LFC to bed. pic.twitter.com/Cilx09m24e
— RB Leipzig English (@RBLeipzig_EN) January 14, 2018
Keita scored for Leipzig on Saturday as the home side defeated Schalke 3-1 to move to second in the Bundesliga.
Speaking before the game, Rangnick said there had been no contact from Liverpool about changing the existing agreement, reported to worth some €70 million.